Joseph A. Planell
Affiliated Society: European Society for Biomaterials
Country of Residence: Spain
Current Position: President of the Universitat Oberta de Catalunya
- Graduate in Physics at the University of Barcelona (1975); Ph.D. (Materials Science) at the University of London (1983).
- Professor of Materials Science and Engineering at the Technical University of Catalonia (1992).
- Rector (President) of the Universitat Oberta de Catalunya (2013).
- Director of the Institute of Bioengineering of Catalonia since its creation in 2005 to 2013.
- George Winter Award from the European Society for Biomaterials, 2013.
- Fellow Biomaterials Science and Engineering (FBSE) by the International Union Biomaterials Science and Engineering Societies.
- Vice-president of the European Society for Biomaterials (2005-2009).
- Editor-in-Chief of the Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine (Springer) (2007-2013).
- Member of the Royal Academy of Sciences and Arts of Barcelona (2008), and Member of the Royal Academy of Doctors of Barcelona (2006).
Areas of research interest:
- Calcium phosphates and calcium phosphate cements
- Calcium phosphate glasses
- Tissue Engineering (Bone, skin, neural)
- Surface modification and surface characterization
- 3D fabrication
- Electrospun scaffolds
- PLA-CaP composites